2015October September June April March
2014August July June April
SEE ALL ARCHIVES
- publishers blog
- authors blog
- new books
- unbridled books
- peter geye
- our catalog
- new features
- safe from the sea
- the lighthouse road
- book reviews
- masha hamilton
- unbridled aloud
- emily st. john mandel
June 09, 2015
REGIONAL BOOKSELLER ESSAY SERIES ANNOUNCED
Unbridled Books to Publish 9 Book Series/McNaughton & Gunn and ExpressEdit.Net in Support
Independent booksellers across the country are asked to submit personal essays for a nine-book series of regional paperbacks to be published by Unbridled Books with printing support by McNaughton & Gunn and edited by Carl Lennertz of ExpressEdit.net.
Ron Rice, editor of My Bookstore, will gather the essays for publication, and Bob Minzesheimer, formerly of USA Today (and now an indie bookseller), will write a foreword for each volume.
The books’ content will mirror the territories of the regional associations. Each book will be published, one or two titles a year, when a sufficient number of essays is received to produce a complete book. Essays should be about each bookseller’s unique experience in his or her current or home state — life, travels, observations — past or present. After design and production costs are recouped, remaining profits will go to BINC, the Book Industry Charitable Foundation http://www.bincfoundation.org/
• Carl Lennertz: “I am so excited that Fred Ramey and Greg Michalson of Unbridled and Julie McFarland at McNaughton & Gunn see the joy of supporting a vehicle for bookseller authors to be published, as well as supporting a literacy cause. And yay re Ron and Bob, two great booklovers!”
• Fred Ramey: “Greg and I have always admired independent booksellers and we love publishing diverse voices from around the country, so this is a natural for us.”
• Julie McFarland: “McNaughton & Gunn is proud to support the publishing industry and our local communities through regional booksellers and literacy programs.”
• Pam French of NCIBA: “We are thrilled to be the beneficiary of this exciting project. Thank you to everyone involved. This support will allow the Binc Foundation to continue helping booksellers across the nation who experience a personal financial crisis.”
PLEASE EMAIL ESSAYS IN WORD, DOUBLE-SPACED; 2,500-5,000 WORDS IN LENGTH.
Paragraphs indented; no spaces between paragraphs. I’ll do an edit & discuss it with you. Also: include a short bio at the end of your piece.
If you’d like to go shorter or longer, let us know. We’ll also consider poetry and illustrations.
(If illustrations, give us a heads-up first in case the file is large.)
• Reminder: We’re not looking for essays about bookstore life but about personal observations or life experiences you have had that embodies your state and your place in them.
• And yes, you can write about any state you’ve lived in, not just where you are now.
Deadline? We’d like to start rec’g essays this summer, with 9/1 as goal to start work on book one.
There are currently no comments for this entry yet.